November 26, 2010

vintage suitcases repurposed

I have a lot of minor obsessions (I say minor because I don't feel as though it's to the point where I need to seek medical help...yet): earl grey tea, trying new restaurants (really, just food in general), fashion photography, crafty/DIY projects, steelers football, my cat, all things pretty/romantic/whimsical, SF parks that overlook the bay, sunsets, the ocean, cellos, and of course, my number one minor obsession...weddings.

But what is my all-time, top, most intense minor obsession besides weddings? Anything and everything vintage/antique. (Except clothing...vintage clothing kinda scares me.) Much to zpao's dismay I could spend hours upon hours perusing the goodies at the Alameda Antique Fair or rummaging through bins filled with old photos and mementos at flea markets. There's something about items that have had a past life that intrigues me. Where did they come from? Who owned them before? How did they end up in a $1 bin at a flea market? I think there's something romantic and magical about piles and piles of tattered, slightly worn, beautiful stuff. One of my all time favorite vintage items? Luggage. Check out these beauties below. I would be lying if I said I didn't want them all. 


photo courtesy of made from scratch

Not only do I want them just to have them (when we move into a bigger apartment I am planning on making a stack of luggage into a guestroom bedside table) but I also want them because I'm incorporating them into the wedding! I'm planning on using a vintage suitcase in place of a card box. Take a look....

photo courtesy of wedding chicks

photo courtesy of green wedding shoes

photo courtesy of ruffled blog
photo courtesy of style me pretty
I've also seen them used as props throughout weddings holding everything from ceremony programs to favors:

photo courtesy of love and lavendar

photo courtesy of wedding chicks
photo courtesy of love and lavendar

photo courtesy of style me pretty

So, there you have it. Vintage suitcase cardboxes. So much more fun than a boring ol' shoe box with a hole cut out at the top, don't ya think? And, now I have an excuse to buy at least one vintage suitcase. Yippy!

xoxo, 
zar

p.s. Want to see how I'll be using those vintage suitcases after the wedding? Blog readers, I'd like you to meet the amazing bedside-tables-made-out-of-vintage-luggage. In the words of Rachel Zoe: I DIE.




photos above courtesy of elements of style blog

No comments:

Post a Comment