October 8, 2010

color scheming

One of the most shocking parts of wedding planning process thus far has been the fact that zpao has opinions about the wedding, and LOTS of them.

While zpao was gone on his business trip/family vacay post-engagement I spent the majority of my time (read: every waking moment) planning my dream wedding. Of course I thought about zpao while planning (I try to imagine what his face will look like when I walk down the aisle and all I have to say is there better be tears of joy!) but I didn't consider the fact that he would disapprove of some of my ideas. I figured wedding planning just wouldn't be his thing and he'd leave it all up to me. Needless to say, I was completely shocked when he told me he didn't like the color scheme I had envisioned. I may or may not have cried (ok, I definitely did) and said something overly dramatic about how it would totally ruin my wedding day if my flower bouquet and decor was in a different color than I had imagined (Ha, yeah...I'm a joy to be around sometimes)

You see, I've always envisioned a really muted, romantic color palette: dove grey, dusty rose, peach, cream, taupe, and very light pinks with some earthy tones thrown in the mix, like brown and green. Like this:




Gorgeous, right?! Well, zpao isn't such a huge fan. He much prefers brighter, richer colors like kelly green, royal blue, bright yellow, purple...anything really, as long is it isn't soft and muted. He also thinks that our venue really needs the pop of color to bring it alive and I guess he does have a point. There are so many natural, earthy tones there already that brighter flowers and decor can really make a big impact.

The current plan is to keep the ceremony flowers (bridal bouquet + bridemaids' bouquets + boutonnieres + wherever else there are flowers) muted and romantic like I had envisioned. For the reception, we'll take those colors up a notch by adding brighter pinks and peaches to the flowers, like this:

[photo courtesy of smallstump.blogspot.com]
The reception decor will feature pops of color in other ways too like bright antique jars and cans as centerpieces and bunting flags hanging overhead:

[photo courtesy of weddingbee.com]

[photo courtesy of ruffledblog.com]

We're definitely on the right track but the color scheme is still a work in progress which evolves a little more everyday. At this point the challenge is trying to figure out how to keep the colors that I love and have always envisioned while still including the pop of color that zpao wants. I guess in the end compromising isn't so bad because it is our wedding (i.e. 60% mine and 40% his. Now that's compromise people!)

xoxo,
zar

No comments:

Post a Comment